Does your Aurora, CO home need a new roof? If yes, you might be wondering which roofing shingles are best, including how they compare in terms of price. You might also have questions about the level of protection from the weather different roofing shingles provide and how many years they last before you start calling roofing contractors in Aurora.
To help, we put together this short informational article. If deciding which shingles to use on your Aurora home is your goal today, read on!
Asphalt Shingles- The King of Shingles?
When it comes to singles, the king, if you will, has to be asphalt shingles. That’s because over 70% of the roofs in America are covered with asphalt shingles of different types and grades. Thanks to their popularity, there are plenty of options when it comes to asphalt shingles. Most, though, are manufactured the same way, with fiberglass matting and granules embedded in an asphalt binding that’s waterproof, UV protective, and fire-resistant. That being said, there are three grades of asphalt shingles, including:
Good- 3-Tab / Strip Shingles / $1.00 per square foot
Strip shingles are the most affordable asphalt shingles. These days, however, their popularity is falling fast as better, similarly priced options become more available.
3-Tab shingles are easier and quicker to install but do have their drawbacks. They’re the least wind and impact-resistant, for example, and only last about 20 to 25 years.
Better- Dimensional Shingles / $5.00 per square foot
The most popular type of asphalt shingle, especially among roofing contractors in Aurora. Also known as architectural or laminate shingles, they come in many colors and styles.
Dimensional asphalt shingles have a higher resistance to wind, fire, and impact and a wide range of colors to fit any home style. They’re also more expensive and heavier than 3-Tab shingles but last from 25 to 50 years.
Best- Designer Shingles / $10.00 per square foot
Impact Resistant Shingles- The Best Protection against Aurora's Weather?
One of the benefits a roof provides is that when things fall out of the sky, they absorb the impact and protect your home from damage. When you’re looking for roofing services in Aurora, keep that in mind as we see more than our fair share of hail every winter. (Hail causes over $10 billion in damage every year in America!)
With that in mind, many Aurora homeowners are choosing impact-resistant shingles for their homes. Below are a few of the pros and cons when considering impact-resistant shingles, including;
- Much better resistance to impacts from flying debris and hail.
- They provide higher resistance to fire. (Most impact-resistant shingles are A-rated for safety.) A higher overall lifespan.
- Discounts on homeowners insurance. (Check with yours to see if you qualify.)
- Less environmental damage (since there’s less damage after a storm).
- They’re more expensive.
- They might cost more to insure for cosmetic damage.
- Heavier than asphalt shingles.
Tile Shingles- The Most Durable Roofing Choice?
- They last incredibly long, up to 100 years!
- Very low maintenance under normal conditions.
- Their heavy thermal mass can help regulate your home’s indoor temperature and help you save on energy bills.
- They’re environmentally friendly and 100% recyclable.
- They cost 2 to 3X what an asphalt roof will cost.
- They are brittle and break easily from impacts, especially hail. (Just ask any Aurora roofing company.) They weigh much more than other tile choices. In some cases, your home may need structural reinforcement, which could be very expensive.
- Expensive to repair.
Hire a Professional Roofing Company
Your home is one of the biggest investments you’ll ever make. Protecting it well with a high-quality, durable and attractive roof makes good financial sense, no doubt. If you have questions about which roof is the best for your Aurora home, call Pinnacle Roofing Associates for help and advice. Call today for a free estimate.